Named as one of National Public Radio’s listeners’ favorite composers under the age of 40, Joel Puckett is one of the most performed composers in America. Hailed by the Washington Post as “visionary,” Mr. Puckett believes in the life-changing power of music to heal and provide comfort to those who need it.
Minnesota Opera recently announced it has commissioned Puckett for, “The Black Sox Scandal,” a full-length opera with a libretto by Academy Award Winner, Eric Simonson about the rise and fall of the 1919 Chicago White Sox. “The Black Sox Scandal” is a tragic tale of mythic proportions, ripe with greed, power, romance, and redemption, all set against the backdrop of America’s favorite pastime and will premiere in the 2018-19 season.
Puckett’s music, which has been consistently awarded and recognized, was recently selected by Chorus America and the American Composers Forum as the recipient of the Dale Warland Singers Commission for a partnership with Philadelphia’s premier chamber choir, The Crossing.
Joel has received numerous awards from organizations such as the American Composers Forum, BMI, Chorus America and the American Bandmasters Association. Currently on the classroom faculty at the Peabody Conservatory of Johns Hopkins University, he holds advanced degrees from the University of Michigan. His music is represented worldwide by Bill Holab music.
In this episode Joel discusses how the composer and balance all the responsibilities of life.
Topics discussed in this episode:
- Writing the wrong notes
- Life balance
- Positive thinking
- Being in shape to help creativity
- Models for life and composing
- Use of language and mindset
- Opportunities vs burdens
- Setting compositional goals
- Writing & listening to uncomfortable things
- Stephen King’s On Writing
- Character writing
- James MacMillan
- Michael Torke
- John C. Maxwell, Talent is Never Enough: Discover the Choices That Will Take You Beyond Your Talent
- Stephen King, On Writing
- Shad Helmstetter, What to Say When You Talk to Yourself
- Tony Robbins, Awaken the Giant Within: How to Take Immediate Control of Your Mental, Emotional, Physical and Financial Destiny!
This post contains affiliate links.