Dan Hulsman is a music teacher, marketer, and creator of VideoGameMusicAcademy.com – a website dedicated to helping new and aspiring game music composers with their craft and career. Dan has worked in sales and marketing in Boston for 6 years, and has acted as a consultant for over 300 companies to help them build online marketing strategies, attract more prospects, and convert them into paying customers. Now, he uses these skills to help composers build their careers.
Marketing expert and creator of Video Game Music Academy discusses how to hustle, the freelance economy, and job security as a composer.
Topics discussed in this episode:
- Video Game Music Academy
- Core concepts of marketing:
- Understanding your target client
- Build a marketing strategy
- Selling your services
- Job security & freelancing
- The freelance economy
- The end of jobs
- Video game industry
- Breaking into the industry
- Game jams
- Building your composing studio
- Using your strengths
- Common mistakes:
- Knowing where to spend your time online
- Making a compelling Call to Action
- Providing value to those seeking music
- Not writing good melodies
This post contains affiliate links.