Alex Shapiro aligns notes with the hope that at least a few of them will sound good next to each other. Her persistence at this, as well as arts advocacy volunteerism, wildlife photography, & the shameless instigation of insufferable puns on Facebook, has led to a happy life. Her genre-defying acoustic & electroacoustic works are performed and broadcast daily, & can be found on over twenty commercial releases from record labels worldwide.
In Part 2 of this two-part interview Alex Shapiro discusses how and why composers should be in control of their careers.
Listen to Part 1 of this interview here.
Topics discussed in this episode:
- Abundance and scarcity mindsets
- What you focus on grows
- Taking risks
- Creating your opportunities
- Being in control of your career
- Competition amongst composers
- Seth Godin and his blog
- Kevin Kelly and his blog
- Kevin Kelly’s 1,000 True Fans
- Amateur vs Pro
- Mindset on charging for art
- Getting paid
- Pricing ourselves
- Forming consortiums
- Different ways to offer ourselves for commissions
- Building a database & list
- One thing you can do today
This post contains affiliate links.