“Trailblazing” cellist Mariel Roberts (Feast of Music) is widely recognized as a deeply dedicated interpreter of contemporary music. Roberts’ work emphasizes expanding the technical and expressive possibilities of her instrument through close relationships with innovative performers and composers of her generation. Her passion for collaboration and experimentation has led her to premiere hundreds of new works by both emerging and established artists.
Cellist and new music advocate Mariel Roberts discusses her album, Cartography, and respecting the performer.
Topics discussed in this episode:
- Mivos String Quartet
- Approaching composers
- Funding the music
- Pitching the project by being enthusiastic
- Seeing the world in new ways through new music
- Pre-judging performers
- Ideal collaboration is a long-term relationship
- Making a real human connection first
- Being clear
- Not re-inventing the wheel
- Respecting the performer
- Gender biasing in new music
This post contains affiliate links.